Thursday, February 22, 2007

Trees

Although I'm probably the least hearty individual on the planet, I do try to take a walk with Jacks each morning (when it isn't raining) in a rather nice public garden a couple of miles from our home. This morning while we were en route, the road was blocked by a massive JCB scraping at something over a low hedge. As we waited for it to finish, the driver turned the arm on a hedgerow tree and pushed it over, then manoeuvred to take out a second tree.

Jacks, who gets very emotional about these things, burst into tears. Both trees looked perfectly healthy and since they were growing in the hedgerow itself they were clearly in nobody's way.

It did occur to me that since we're now apparently living in a world where existing forest cover is unable to cope with the amount of carbon we're pumping into the atmosphere, it might make sense for Governments to enact legislation forbidding the uprooting of trees without a special (costly, difficult to get) permit. As the Tesco ads keep telling us, every little helps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who is Jacks...I've noticed you dedicate your books to him!

Herbie Brennan said...

Her. It's short for Jacquelene, my child bride. (Bit of an age difference.) We've been married for fifteen years.

Eliz said...

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering: Is Ruler of the Realm the last book in the Faerie Wars series, because if so, the ending was very dissatisfying?!

Herbie Brennan said...

Eliz, you're not the first to tell me that! Fortunately there's one more in the series, Faerie Lord, which completes Henry's story. It's due out in the States next autumn, in the UK in February 2008 as part of a relaunch of the whole series. Hopefully you'll find the ending more satisfying...

Eliz said...

I'm glad there's another book coming out! Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you actually talked to me! Lol, sorry. :)